Can you remember what it felt like to be a teenager trying to figure out what you wanted to do with your life? According to the New York Times, a large percentage of young adults are overwhelmed with fear, pressure, and anxiety over choosing their career paths. In disadvantaged communities most youth are blind to what’s possible for them and often don’t have the guidance to identify their gifts. This in-turn can cause mental health issues such as depression, violent crime, and increased dropout rates. Living a life of purpose and passion has proven to increase productivity and the overall health of, not only individuals, but society as a whole. Growing Real Opportunities in the Workforce (G.R.O.W.) is a 501 c 3 that was created to fill a gap in our social system that neglects a vital piece of our development – helping us figure out who we are and what we want to do with our lives. Our programs were developed to empower youth to take ownership of their education, careers, and futures.
Other organizations teach you what THEY have to offer and at G.R.O.W. we teach what YOU have to offer. We truly believe that a deep level of self-understanding has to be the first step in deciding your future. Understanding why ones headed in the direction they’re headed will increase engagement in schools, success rates for going to college and with landing a job. Most importantly this will lead to a healthier life, school environment, workplace and economy.
- Discovering ones purpose, passion and skills
- Finding ideal career fits
- Self motivated drive
- Increased engagement in school and work
- Gained confidence – for the first time some students see themselves as being valuable
- Better understanding of ones own traits and typical responses
- Awareness of other points of view
- Ways to create optimal team interactions and dynamics
- Tools to be successful in their goals
- Framework for future career and life shifts